September 03, 2009

Picture Host Problem - resolved for now

Seems there is a problem with the server my pictures have been hosted on. I'll try to fix it tomorrow. If anyone got spare webspace with FTP access and enough bandwidth to host my maps/pictures send me an email. Else I'll switch back to some free picture hoster (which some peeps can't view at work unfortunately). Uploading all the pictures again and fixing the links in all blog posts will take a while, so in any case that could take a day or so.

Update: I uploaded all the pictures to a photobucket.com account. If you find any pictures still missing by accident, drop me a line. The only thing not working atm are the large radar/minimap, due to limitations in bandwidth I'll probably upload them to a filehoster.

A Request: Please do NOT link directly to images/maps from my blog, instead point people to the main blog post you are refering to. Increased leeching of bandwidth due to people linking directly - and i know a bunch of people did, probably without thinking much about it - will force me to either pay for additional bandwidth or to cut down on large image files. In addition eg. maps will be updated in the future, so copying those over to your forum, etc. will result in your members missing out on content updates.

9 comments:

Dynasty said...

I'd be one of them, lol, Apologies will switch out the links now.

Glad it's been resolved mate.

Thulf said...

Well, linking the small logo etc. is fine, but some people were directly linking to the larger maps and files, which ofc causes a lot of traffic. And if too many people just copy my blog posts with all thumbnails included it increases traffic more as if people just point peeps to my blog. :)

Dynasty said...

I linked the minor image and the detailed map of pandaemonium, but both are hosted on our own servers now. Will make sure the rest of the clan know.

frank said...

Doesn't blogger provide enough space for images by default? I think it's 1GB, plus you can pay like $20/y for additional 10 or so.

You're probably aware of it but I'm just wondering why you're not taking advantage of it.

Thulf said...

If you upload pics directly to blogger they'll get formated automaticly, which does not look well IMO if you have a custom theme like i do. At least it was like that when i initially tried it and i think it still works that way.

frank said...

You could try amazon s3: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/. It's not free but still very affordable and reliable.

Or you could always start writing on my site and don't have to worry about it but I doubt you'd be interested :(

Thulf said...

Thanks for the tip Frank. Nah, its fine for the moment, I'll just use a filehoster for the large maps and have a close look at the bandwidth all the pics use. Photbucket offers a pro account as well, that seem to be an ok price.

Serge said...

There is a PHP script that helps stop leeching I used for lotrolife.com but I guess that is not something you can use on Blogger. If you need image hosting I have a server where I host my Aion fansite/database that I'm willing to share. Let me know @ owner ( a t) mmorpg-life dot com if you are interested

Thulf said...

Thanks for the kind offer Serge, but i should be fine for now. Payed for a pro account that should support me with enough bandwidth.